POLL: Have you had any of these ELITE BEERS?
Alex
2004-07-17 09:21:35 UTC
So. I'm underage and prohibited from drinking and all (this IS America,
after all). However, every beer I have ever sampled has tasted absolutely
horrid. Perhaps my taste buds have not matured to the point of enjoying
that swill, if such a thing is possible. More likely, however, is that the
fact that I've only tried crappy mainstream beers like Budweiser, Coors,
etc.

This site has a list of the top 100 beers, and some of the descriptions
sound ridiculously good. How many (if any) have YOU tried?

http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers.php
Accentuate the negative.
JHertvik
2004-07-17 12:22:00 UTC
Wow, so many beers that I haven't had! Just up the road from me there's a
great microbrewery with about 28 taps, usually 18 of them are reserved for
great microbrews from around the country (the other 10 are for their own
beers). Even though I frequent the place I would say I have only had 15 of the
beers on that list! I need to work harder.
Matt
2004-07-17 13:37:20 UTC
Alex <***@gmail.com> wrote:

: This site has a list of the top 100 beers, and some of the descriptions
: sound ridiculously good. How many (if any) have YOU tried?

: http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers.php

i've had 35 of those. but since i volunteer at their beer fests, it's
pretty easy to drink all i want.

check their belgian beer fest in november, i'll be pouring....
odibe mcdowell
2004-07-17 23:59:21 UTC
well i'm glad to see bell's had four beers make the top 100, not bad. kinda
surprised oberon didn't make the cut, but then again oberon ain't what it used
to be. i live and die by bell's beer.

--
ryan (please sell me your extra coventry!)

"i'm a musical santa claus." - james brown

"Man I'm in a weird place right now . . . Hilary Duff, Mexico, cocaine, and
marriage are on my mind." - mr. roy wally
Chesna
2004-07-17 16:43:15 UTC
Post by Alex
So. I'm underage and prohibited from drinking and all (this IS America,
after all). However, every beer I have ever sampled has tasted absolutely
horrid. Perhaps my taste buds have not matured to the point of enjoying
that swill, if such a thing is possible. More likely, however, is that the
fact that I've only tried crappy mainstream beers like Budweiser, Coors,
etc.
This site has a list of the top 100 beers, and some of the descriptions
sound ridiculously good. How many (if any) have YOU tried?
http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers.php
I've tried these..... :o) (and many more...
http://home.adelphia.net/~tirinis/beer.htm)

but where is Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, and delerium tremmens, and scaldis
noel, and...?

5 Westvleteren Extra 8 (Blue Cap) Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint Sixtus
Trappistenbdij) 4.50 101
6 Stone Imperial Russian Stout Stone Brewing Co. 4.49 196
10 Storm King Stout Victory Brewing Company 4.47 458
11 St. Bernardus Abt 12 Brouwerij Sint-Bernardus 4.45 209
12 Trappistes Rochefort 10 Brasserie de Rochefort (Abbaye de
Notre-Dame de Saint-Rémy) 4.45 175
13 Abbaye Des Rocs Grand Cru Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a. 4.43
88
14 Celebrator Doppelbock Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG /
Brauerei Aying 4.42 355
17 Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
4.40 274
24 Wisconsin Belgian Red New Glarus Brewing Company 4.38 79
25 Abbaye des Rocs Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a. 4.38 77
26 Okocim Porter Browar Okocim S.A. (Carlsberg) 4.38 30
30 Thomas Hardy's Ale O'Hanlon's Brewing Co. Ltd. 4.35 35
31 Shakespeare Stout Rogue Ales 4.34 366
32 J.W. Lees Vintage Harvest Ale J.W. Lees & Co (Brewers) Ltd 4.34 122
36 Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Brauerei Weihenstephan 4.33 194
40 Aventinus Private Weissbierbrauerei G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH 4.32
314
43 Imperial Stout Rogue Ales 4.31 207
44 Trappistes Rochefort 8 Brasserie de Rochefort (Abbaye de Notre-Dame
de Saint-Rémy) 4.31 130
47 Duvel Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV 4.30 387
50 Schneider Weisse Weizenhell (Hefeweizen) Private Weissbierbrauerei
G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH 4.30 35
52 Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue / Blauw) Bières de Chimay (Abbaye Notre
Dame de Scourmont) 4.29 267
53 Fuller's London Porter Fuller Smith & Turner PLC 4.29 232
55 Raspberry Tart New Glarus Brewing Company 4.29 47
58 HopDevil Ale Victory Brewing Company 4.28 442
59 Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
4.28 421
60 Imperial India Pale Ale - I2PA Rogue Ales 4.28 239
61 Rodenbach Grand Cru Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. 4.28 52
62 Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic Brasserie Cantillon 4.28 51
63 Harvest Ale Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. 4.28 42
66 Bell's Expedition Stout Kalamazoo Brewing Co. / Eccentric Café &
Beergarden 4.27 191
67 St. Bernardus Tripel Brouwerij Sint-Bernardus 4.27 120
68 Sinebrychoff Porter Sinebrychoff Brewery 4.27 114
71 Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille Brouwerij Oud Beersel 4.27 48
73 Guinness Foreign Extra Stout Guinness Ltd. 4.27 26
74 Arrogant Bastard Ale Stone Brewing Co. 4.26 427
75 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Brooklyn Brewery 4.26 317
76 Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout North Coast Brewing Co. 4.26
294
77 Hennepin Brewery Ommegang 4.26 253
78 Westmalle Trappist Tripel Brouwerij Westmalle (Adbij der Trappisten
van Westmalle) 4.26 127
79 Fantôme Saison Brasserie Fantôme 4.26 64
82 Celebration Ale Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. 4.25 433
83 La Fin Du Monde Unibroue 4.25 351
84 Maudite Unibroue 4.25 326
85 Adam Hair of the Dog Brewing Company 4.25 112
86 Traquair House Ale Traquair House Brewery Lld 4.25 101
87 Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René Brouwerij Lindemans 4.25 48
89 Trois Pistoles Unibroue 4.24 302
92 Rodenbach Classic (Red) Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. 4.24 42
98 Affligem Noël Brouwerij De Smedt / Brouwerij Affligem 4.23 61
PETE
2004-07-17 18:30:34 UTC
Yes, it's probably more likely that your taste buds haven't evolved.
Beer, like coffee, wine, and fine cheeses is an acquired taste. I
remember thinking how my first beers tasted overwhelmingly bitter -
but now that is a characteristic that I look for in good beer.

Anyway, as soon as you can get your underage paws on some tasty brew,
initially try going for beer that super dark. I remember really
enjoying porters and stouts when I was younger. Eventually you may
find yourself leaning more towards ales. IPA's is now my ultimate
beer of choice. They can be super hoppey (which provides a lot of the
bitter taste found in beer) and they also tend to be higher in alcohol
then most beer. The IPA's found on that list you linked are not for
the faint of heart. In fact most of the beers tend to be very
intense, and overwhelming to the inexperienced palate. Start with
something that you can get at Safeway.

Whatever you do, stay away from flouffy beers like Cherry flavored
Heifeweizen wheat-shit beers. They're not meant to be consumed by
people who give a shit. I think they are actually designed for
fraternity boys.

Good luck, and stay safe.
The Bi Polar Bear
2004-07-17 18:33:14 UTC
Post by PETE
Whatever you do, stay away from flouffy beers like Cherry flavored
Heifeweizen wheat-shit beers. They're not meant to be consumed by
people who give a shit. I think they are actually designed for
fraternity boys.
this lat comment was just LAME
Phish...They scared the shit back into you
Matt

and shows an ignorance of a very historied and flavorful style of beers.
Greg Sasso
2004-07-18 20:35:57 UTC
Post by PETE
[...]
IPA's are my favorite as well. I love the Hops. You're take on Wheat
beers, however, is way off the mark. Wheat (Weiss, Heifewizen) beers come
in tons of forms. Dark, light, fruity, smokey, they come in many different
flavors. Not my favorite style, but I enjoy a nice Weiss beer from time to
time. Check out the Belgian or German ones.

Lisa
Accentuate the negative.
Greg Sasso
2004-07-18 20:32:06 UTC
Post by Alex
So. I'm underage and prohibited from drinking and all (this IS
America, after all). However, every beer I have ever sampled has
tasted absolutely horrid. Perhaps my taste buds have not matured to
the point of enjoying that swill, if such a thing is possible. More
likely, however, is that the fact that I've only tried crappy
mainstream beers like Budweiser, Coors, etc.
This site has a list of the top 100 beers, and some of the
descriptions sound ridiculously good. How many (if any) have YOU
tried?
http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers.php
I've had 10 of em, but there's a ton of great beers not on there. Beer
Advocate, however, is a great place to go to get some general info on beers
before you buy a 6 (or a case) of them.